- Puff pastry sheet (375g)
- 2 tablespoons of English mustard
- Ground black pepper
- 100g extra mature cheddar (any cheddar will do)
- 1 beaten egg
How To Make A Cheese Straws:
- Lay out the puff pastry sheet. I kept mine on the paper when I rolled it out. I regularly make my own pastry but sometimes I just want to make something nice in a hurry.
- Spread over the mustard. Grind black pepper over the top. You could leave this out if you don’t like pepper.
- Spread on the cheese. Pat the cheese down gently so that it sticks to the mustard and doesn’t fall off once you start making the twists.
- Slice the puff pastry. I made around 22 straws from 375g of pastry but could have easily made a few more.
- Take each slice, twist 5 or 6 times and then place down onto a baking sheet. I used pizza trays lined with baking tray liners, just for convenience and because they were going to need a clean anyway.
- Place the cheese straws into the fridge for 45-60 minutes or into the freezer for around 10-15 minutes. This helps the twists keep their shape when they go into the oven.
- Once chilled wash the straws with a beaten egg. This will help them go golden brown in the oven.
- Place into a 220C oven for around 18-20 minutes. My straws that are a little well done were in for 22 minutes but my oven can be temperamental!